Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Imus

1. According to the NAACP, why should Imus be silenced?

The NAACP thinks Imus should be silenced because he called the African American women basketball players a derogatory name. He shouldn't have said something like this live on the radio.

2. According to Frank Rich, why should Imus not be silenced?

Frank Rich says Imus should not be silenced because he is not a bigot and because he has taken responsibility for what he said.

3. Do you think Imus should be silenced? Why?

I think Imus should be silenced because usually you shouldn't call a whole group of people nappy headed ho's on the radio which is broadcasted everywhere. A lot of people are offended by this type of comment. He has the right of free speech, but what was he thinking? Was he thinking at all?

I think it is important to silence people when they are making mean comments because people have different beliefs, some people are offended easily and some people find those words rude. Some people take those words as if something was personally done to them. I believe it is best to think before you speak and I don't think Imus thought before he spoke. Also, there is another idea that says if you don't have something good to say then to not say anything at all. I think Imus should not have said anything if he didn't have something good to say.

I don't really understand the meaning of the words he said and I prefer to keep out of these types of conversations because I don't like to offend anyone. I think people are offended by his comments because people are offended by things about race. But I think we are all of the same race, the human race, and I don't think we should pay attention to skin color. I don't know why Imus said this, but I can't think of any reason why he did say it. Maybe he said it because he has freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech does not mean a person can just go around and say whatever he or she wants. I think people still need to be careful about what they say and how they say it because some people take some words as offensive even if they person who said them don't think of them that way. For example if you call someone a parrot and you thought it was random and silly, but the person might be offended and might feel it is rude. I think when you say things you have to think about how the other person might hear what you are saying.

I think Imus should be silenced. Free speech is a big thing in our country. It's been debated for a long time for a number of reasons. Free speech gives us freedom, but we need to limit it or things can get out of control. If everyone was cussing around every day, it wouldn't make socially and we might end up being barbarians. Our world is supposed to be civilized and we don't want it to be chaotic. We should all just be equal and put all this behind us so we can all get along and have peace. I really don't like it when people offend each other.

1 comment:

Mr. Jana said...

Wow! That's a long post, thanks Austin. I appreciate your positions and share some of them. I'm wondering though, should people be silenced because somebody would be offended? Is that a realistic criteria in a democracy?