Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Farenheit 451, pages 91-110

In the first scene at home in the living room, Montag came into the house and Mildred and some of her friends were watching a show called "The Parlor." It seems like the shows in this world are pretty violent. The comedy is kind of violent.

In the second scene in the fire house with Beatty, Montag is playing a game of poker with Beatty. He gives me a book that he throws away. Faber has Montag listen to what Beatty is saying and he is like a mole for Faber.

Strong adjectives or verbs

"Two minutes more and the room whipped out of town to the jet cars wildly circling an arena, bashing and backing up and bashing each other again."

This sentence describes the time--two minutes. The words "whipped out of town" sounds like they are going some place in the future. It feels like the cars are hovering and going very fast and then all of a sudden there is an accident. The words "bashing and backing up and bashing up again" gives me a sense that the drivers are angry and are trying to hurt each other. It feels like everything is going crazy.

My question about this section is: "is Captain Beatty considered a friend to Montag?"

3 comments:

Mr. Jana said...

Austin,

First, I would like to say that I'm impressed with your analysis of adjectives and adverbs. You picked out strong ones and did a nice job of explaining why they are effective, especially with "whipped out of town."

As far as your question goes: I think their is some amibguity in their friendship, but I don't recall any scene where Montag and Beatty ever demonstrated strong feelings towards one another or confided in one another. There is the scene where Beatty talks to Montag in bed, but personally, I had the feeling that he was spying on Montag and not there out of affection.

Mr. J

Austin J said...

Mr. Jana,

Thank you for commenting. I would like to point out something that happens later on that might answer the question. After Montag killed Beatty, there were 3 words that seemed like he actually had feelings for him. I don't think Montag actually meant to kill Beatty. Why do I think this? Because "he lay where he had fallen and sobbed. . . Beatty wanted to die. In the middle of crying, Montag knew it for the truth" (page 122). I think Montag never meant to kill Beatty. He was just trying to protect himself.

Mr. Jana said...

Wonderful. I'm glad to see that you went back to the text to find evidence that supports your interpretation. That's what engaged readers do!

Mr. J